Friday 19 November 2010

New machines

I bought a new treadle last night at our local auction. A Jones Spool, one I don't have in my collection. This is a keeper, even though I don't really have the room. The machine head was very dirty with old oil. It was so bad that I used neat eucalyptus oil and it came off very quickly. The decals are lovely and bright now.

The woodwork needs stripping off and repolishing and I need to clean all the chrome on the machine head.

The Spool is an odd machine, it seems a cross between a Singer 15 (tension discs on the face plate) and the Adler Rotary number 8 which I have (similar bobbin mechanism). The bobbins are quite big and very flat. I look forward to getting the machine in working order.

I also bought a Singer 99 to sell at SBI The Workshop and a Frister & Rossman Cub 7 for me to keep. It is a sweet little machine which does zigzag and stretch stitches. There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with it so I have no idea why it ended up at the tip. The owner got something newer I guess. Nearly all the parts are metal, only one plastic part as far as I can tell.


I have made 6 batches of soap this week (Rosemary, sweet orange and crushed olive stone, cinnamon and oat, Tea Tree and bentonite clay, rose and clove) to go down to London for Sarah to process before she goes down to Devon next weekend. She has had her soaps and body butters launched at "From the Wilde" website - http://www.fromthewilde.com/shop/index.php?route=common/home. Hopefully they will sell well.

No comments:

Post a Comment