Friday 22 October 2010

Leicester Longwool Fleece

I spent the day teasing out the cleaned Leicester Longwool fleece. It's beautiful, colours from cream to rust, grey and black, soft and lustrous. It comes from Lilly a yearling ewe.

I rang the phone number on the label that came with the fleece and spoke to Sue who owns Lilly. She only lives about 2 miles down the road which is very strange as I expected her to live miles away. I got the fleece from the Rare Breeds Show at Melton Mowbray and it's nearly come back home. I wanted a picture of Lilly, so I have arranged to go and see Sue's flock of 30 sheep on Sunday and I'll take my own pictures.

I want to spin some of the fleece before Sunday to show Sue as she's not seen it spun up. I'm also going to take the crochet Jacobs Fleece scarf to show her. She has just bought a spinning wheel and wanted to know how I cleaned fleeces so I explained the method I use.

I also washed the remainder of the Cotswold fleece which I will tease out tomorrow. My hands ache too much to knit tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment