Sunday 24 October 2010

Leicester Longwool sheep

Today I went and saw Lilly, the sheep whose fleece I am spinning. Sue, the owner has about 30 sheep including Leicester Longwool, Shetland and Hebridean. Lilly's fleece is lovely and soft, it's the first time she has been sheared. I have booked some of the fleece from the lambs Sue bred this year and the white Ram lamb they bought to start a white flock. She is putting 2 Shetland ewes to the Leicester Longwool ram as she has been told that particular cross makes a good spinning fleece.

I spun a little more of the L Longwool fleece and took it with me for Sue to see. She was over the moon to see some of the fleece from her own sheep actually spun. She loved the random black, grey and white colouring. I intend to spin a lot of the fleece and make bodywarmers for us all for Christmas on the chunky Brother knitting machine. I have done some more to Casie's scarf and it is beginning to look good.

We stopped off at the allotment on the way home from Sue's and picked the sweetcorn and beans. They are finished now. This week we will be rotavating it and tidying up for the Winter and netting the brassicas.

No comments:

Post a Comment